Install questions. Actions show in list, but don't create action when selected.

Oct 5, 2007 at 2:51 PM
1. Do you need to install to the SSP sites? I got an error installing to one that is the SSP for FBA. I changed the setup.config to <add key="RequireDeploymentToAllContentWebApplications" value="false"/> and skipped the SSP sites and the install succeeded.
a. The custom actions appear in SPD, but when selected, they do not add an action to the list.
b. I have not restarted iis. Is this required?
c. I have enabled the features for the applications via
d. Do you need to install/enable to the SSP sites?
Oct 11, 2007 at 6:00 PM
I've got the same issue. Install was successful, but when the actions appear in the list in SPD, selection results in nothing happening. I've verified that the information is in the web.config file.

Any suggestions?
Oct 11, 2007 at 8:35 PM
Restart IIS should do it.

ndiem wrote:
I've got the same issue. Install was successful, but when the actions appear in the list in SPD, selection results in nothing happening. I've verified that the information is in the web.config file.

Any suggestions?

Oct 12, 2007 at 1:54 PM
Tried that and no SharePoint Designer doesn't offer the SharePoint Content Tab. I am going to try uninstall and retry the steps to install.
Oct 12, 2007 at 5:04 PM
Edited Oct 12, 2007 at 5:05 PM
Also, Here is a response from "unclepaul":

Hello,

1. No need to install to SSPs.
2. No need to iisreset
3. Looks like web.config file did not get modified. Need to activate the feature for the web application where the site u are connecting to is located (e.g. Sharepoint - 80)

If still no go, download 0.3.0 release, it contains instructions on how to manually modify web.config.

Hope This helps

ndiem wrote:
Tried that and no SharePoint Designer doesn't offer the SharePoint Content Tab. I am going to try uninstall and retry the steps to install.

Oct 22, 2007 at 2:00 PM
I don't know if this might be it, I ran into the a similuar problem with the items actually being there in SPD but not populating. What fixed it for me? Reading the instructions :P I forgot to copy the file over that came with the .zip
Oct 23, 2007 at 7:57 PM
Hi, I've gone through all the troubleshooting steps above and I still cannot create an action in SPD. I see the actions in the list, but selecting them doesn't do anything. I checked the web.config, verified that the .actions file was present, made sure I activated the feature for the web app, etc. Will this NOT work on a x64 MOSS 2007 platform?
Oct 30, 2007 at 3:42 PM
I was having the same problem. See this link for a possible resolution - the bottom line is that if everything is configured correctly, it WILL work, so there's something not configured correctly (in my case, I was modifying the wrong web.config file).

http://www.codeplex.com/SPDActivities/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=834

Hope this helps.