Lookup User Question

Oct 22, 2007 at 1:57 PM
Well first I would like to thank you guys, the whole compilation works amazingly and it has solved several issues that I was running into with Using SPD. Can't say thank you enough :)

My question is about the 'Lookup site user property', I was wondering if it was possible to pull who the manager was for the current user?

I've tried typing in Manager but it returns a ??????, so is there another way to do it? Or is it just not possible with this addon?

I can pull other data just fine, so I know it has to be the Keyword I am using for the property to find.

Regardless =P I love it
Nov 19, 2007 at 3:17 PM
Hi,

Like to second rwinslow's comments. I'm far from the only person who needs a custom workflow that enables user lookup features on list entries as well as document libraries - can't believe this isn't available OOTB.
Nov 22, 2007 at 4:01 PM
does user lookup activity work for lists?? i need to retrieve a name of the user, not a login name

thanks
Jan 9, 2008 at 8:51 PM
Has anyone been able to get this to work on a list? For me the action to 'Lookup x property for user' is not avaliable as an option if a list is selected in the 'What SharePoint list should this workflow be attached to?' If a document library is selected then several other actions are viewable. Most actions make sense to be viewable only to a doc library (Infopath specific actions). I can't seem to get the actions to show up for lists though.
Jan 10, 2008 at 5:24 PM
This workflow rocks. I got it to work on a list as well.

To get this to work on a list do the following.

1. Browse to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\1033\Workflow on your server.
2. Open DPWorkflow.ACTIONS
3. Scroll down to the Action for "Lookup site user property". In the 0.4.0 release it is the last action in the file.
4. Where it says AppliesTo="doclib" change it to AppliesTo="all" (My test system in one computer, in a farm this might need to be done on other computers)
5. Sometimes it immediately starts working, but if it doesn't then deactivate and reactivate the feature in Manaage Web Application Features.

I tested this out and it seems to work great on a list now. I'm not sure why it wasn't set this way in the release. Use this update with caution because the developers on this project might have limited it for a reason. I still consider myself new to .Net development and I have barely started workflow development in VS. Ok, end of my disclaimer.

I have noticed that if a field in the users list is blank then the workflow will error, but validating fields can easily be added in your workflow.