SendEmailExtended removes all formatting

Mar 11, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Hi,

The Send Email Extended is a true gem, if you need to set either priority or from/reply-to address. The latter was the case for us, and it solved the issue. Great. Now, compared to the standard Send Email function in SharePoint Designer, SendEmailExtended removes all formatting when sending the contents of a multi-line text field in the email body. That isn't so great. Let me explain our issue so that it can be reproduced.

1. Create a new custom list, called "Mailtest". Add an extra column called "Multiple lines", and make it use the type "Multiple lines of text" and set the type of text to "Plain text".
  2. Enter some text into the "Title" field, and then put in, say, four lines of text into the "Multiple lines", each separated by a manual linefeed.
  3. Now create a new workflow in SharePoint Designer 2007, making it fire whenever we change anything in the list.
  4. In the "Step 1" you need to put in two actions to make you see my point. First add a standard "Send an email". Make it send the message to yourself. The subject should read something like "Sent by standard email". In the body field, put in a lookup to the "Multiple lines" field, [%Mailtest:Multiple lines%].
  5. Create a new step below the first one. Add a "Send Email Extended" action. Again, send it to your own address. Subject is "Sent by Email Extended", and the body text should of course look up the same "Multiple lines" field.
  6. Now save the workflow and test it by changing the record in the list.

Do you see the difference? I really need the Send Email to keep the original formatting. Otherwise multiple lines fields become unreadable.

Best regards, Jan.

Mar 16, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Use HTML tag <br> in the end of your strings:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointworkflow/thread/7e8a6688-b6fa-40bb-84ef-e8eb7cedca79/

Mar 17, 2010 at 7:50 AM

Hi fzakharov - thanks for replying.

I do not provide the values manually. If that was the case, I would have used <br> like you suggested. But my values come from a list field (see my example above), which already includes formatting. The SendEmailExtended action removes the formatting, whereas the standard email action does not.

I need to keep the formatting when referring to a list field.

Regards, Jan.