Copy List Item Extended - Access Denied

Feb 12, 2008 at 9:08 PM
Hello,

I am experiencing a problem with the Copy List Item Extended workflow activity. When I try to copy a file from a document library to another site the workflow stops and returns an error. When inspecting the error more closely the error contains a stack trace containing the following exception:

System.Security.SecurityException: Access denied.
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPFormDigestSettings.set_Enabled(Boolean value)
at DP.Sharepoint.Workflow.ListItemCopier.CopyFileWithHistoryCrossSite(SPFile sourceFile, SPFolder destination,

First I thought this was (obviously) a security related issue, so I granted the executing user and the systemaccount user full right on the source and target document library. At a later time I even try granting every full right to both libraries. However this error is still thrown every time the workflow is executed.

Is this a known issue?
Does anyone have any tips on how this problem might be resolved?

Thank you in advance,
Coordinator
Feb 13, 2008 at 8:59 PM
Edited Feb 13, 2008 at 9:00 PM

Your Sharepoint\system account must be farm admin. Have you changed default security policy settings in Central Admin?

skooij wrote:
Hello,

I am experiencing a problem with the Copy List Item Extended workflow activity. When I try to copy a file from a document library to another site the workflow stops and returns an error. When inspecting the error more closely the error contains a stack trace containing the following exception:

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPFormDigestSettings.set_Enabled(Boolean value)
at DP.Sharepoint.Workflow.ListItemCopier.CopyFileWithHistoryCrossSite(SPFile sourceFile, SPFolder destination,

First I thought this was (obviously) a security related issue, so I granted the executing user and the systemaccount user full right on the source and target document library. At a later time I even try granting every full right to both libraries. However this error is still thrown every time the workflow is executed.

Is this a known issue?
Does anyone have any tips on how this problem might be resolved?

Thank you in advance,

Feb 18, 2008 at 12:28 PM
Edited Feb 18, 2008 at 12:30 PM
Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

I tried to add the SharePoint\System to the SharePoint farm administrators, but when trying this the following error was displayed:

----------
Go back to site
Error

SHAREPOINT\system
Troubleshoot issues with Windows SharePoint Services.
----------

Here are the steps I took trying to make the System Account Farm administrator
I tried to add SHAREPOINT\system to the farm administrators group by going to the following location:
Central Administration > Operations -> and clicking ‘Update farm administrator's group’.

After this I clicked: New > Add Users

This redirects to the following page:
Central Administration > Site Settings > Permissions > Add Users

In the Users/Groups section I have entered SharePoint\System which is resolved to: System Account after clicking the Check Names button.
When pressing Ok, the earlier specified error occurs

Are these the correct steps to make the system account, farm administrator or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you in advance,
Coordinator
Feb 18, 2008 at 3:27 PM
Sorry, SHAREPOINT\system must be site collection admin for both source and destination sites. This is the case by default. I'm not sure why it does not work for you.
Feb 26, 2008 at 8:52 AM
Hello.

I have the same problem but have not been able to solve this. It works just fine when using a list with no files for example task list.
Was this problem ever resolved?

Thanks.
Mar 13, 2008 at 7:43 AM
Edited Mar 13, 2008 at 7:43 AM
I have the same problem with "Access Denied" error. When I try to add SHAREPOINT\system to Farm administrators I see "Error" page. I saw that one of properties used in the activity checks if user is a farm administrator.
Application pool account for the Sharepoint web app was added to farm admins and Sharepoint\system cannot be added.
My SP web app has two zones with different application pools (for intranet IIS web app and extranet) and identities, all identities use named domain accounts (no net service accounts), central admin has different app pool and identity than other web apps.

I hope this will help to resolve the problem.
Coordinator
Mar 18, 2008 at 12:38 AM
do the App Pool accounts have access to the soure/dest library?
Apr 28, 2008 at 3:45 PM

unclepaul84 wrote:
do the App Pool accounts have access to the soure/dest library?

Hi there,

I also have the same problem. In a similar configuration to tszalaj, I also have different application pool accounts for my Portal, My Site, and Central Admin web applications. Under which account does the workflow operate? I am assuming it is the Central Admin application pool account as I also have a dev system with one service account for all app pools and the workflow runs perfectly there.

To my knowledge, Sharepoint\system is a virtual account which refers to the app pool account used during creation of the web application - therefore, it only applies in the context of the web application being accessed, so a) does not need to be added as a site collection administrator, and b) cannot be added as a farm administrator.

Thanks,
Phil
May 14, 2008 at 8:59 PM
I, too, am having the same trouble.  My source and destination libraries are in different sites, but the same site collection.

Has anyone found an answer to this problem?

Coordinator
Aug 26, 2008 at 2:21 AM
Edited Aug 26, 2008 at 2:23 AM
The hot fix for this problem is at http://www.codeplex.com/SPDActivities/SourceControl/DirectoryView.aspx?SourcePath=%24%2fSPDActivities%2fDP.Sharepoint.Workflow%20-%20PROD%2fInstall%2fGAC&changeSetId=22637. Download the changeset and copy DP.Sharepoint.Workflow.dll  from PROD / Install / GAC to your global assembly cache , then do an iisreset.  Make sure you copy off the original dll, just in case!
Feb 20, 2009 at 8:29 PM
When I navigate to the location I cannot select to save or download the dll.  Is it no longer available?
Mar 3, 2010 at 2:33 AM

Erh... yes, is this file still available somewhere?

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:39 AM

I ran into the exactly same problem last week.

The site collection was migrated from Win2k3(IIS6) to Win2k8(IIS7) and all of sudden all the Copy Ext functions stopped working.

I finally found the problem was the configuration in Alternative access mapping. In my case, I deleted all unnecessary mapping, leaving only:

Internal URL                                          Zone       Public URL for Zone

http://intranet-dev                                 Default    http://intranet-dev

http://intranetdemo.mydomain.com        Intranet   http://intranetdemo.mydomain.com

The first mapping comes as default when the site collection is setup.

The second one is added in by 'Add Internal URLs'

In my case this solved the problem.

Apr 22, 2010 at 4:01 AM

The DLL can be downloaded here: http://spdactivities.codeplex.com/sourcecontrol/network/Show?projectName=SPDActivities&changeSetId=22637#

Just remember to put into C:\windows\assembly

May 18, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Is this fix incluced in the UsefulSPDWorkflowActivities_0.5.0 version? I get access denied when I try to copy files. With list items it works fine. 

Do I need to update the dll? Server is a Win2008 x64.

Aug 23, 2011 at 6:56 PM

Download the latest source code in my case it was 22637 and find the following lines in the ListItemCopier file and comment them out:

sourceFile.ParentFolder.ParentWeb.Site.WebApplication.FormDigestSettings.Enabled = true;

FYI, I believe unclepaul84 already did this in the 22637 source however just replacing the DLL in the GAC didn't work for me.  I had to create a new SP2010 Project and add the CopyListItemActionExtended Activity dll to the Package.  As shown here: http://blog.voltje.be/?p=144 and here: http://msmvps.com/blogs/sundar_narasiman/archive/2010/12/26/develop-custom-workflow-activity-for-sharepoint-2010-workflow.aspx.

Hope this helps.

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:30 PM
Edited Mar 29, 2013 at 3:53 PM
Hey guys, I had to create a workflow that moves a document from one library to another when someone uploaded a document. I went through this entire thread looking for some answers on the Access Denied problem. I've compiled a solution of what worked for me. I had to search around a lot of different areas to find the answers I needed. But here's a quick rundown of what I did to make it work if any of you are still having this problem.

http://sharepoint.indigoreality.com/2011/10/24/sharepoint-2010-workflow-to-copy-an-item-from-one-library-to-another/

This was for SP2010.
May 16, 2014 at 11:17 AM
Hi,

It was long time ago anybody replay to these theme but I wondering if anyone out there still have problem with access denied? If I try to copy list item it work fine, but I have problem with document library. We copied DLL in the GAC, and restarted our IIS but still get error

at DP.Sharepoint.Workflow.ListItemCopier.CopyFileWithHistoryCrossSite(SPFile sourceFile, SPFolder destinat

Br. Dejan