Grant permission on an item

Oct 5, 2010 at 11:07 AM

The activity works great. However, when it grants permission to the document item, it removes all the limited access permissions that are present on the item.  This is generally ok, but there are many hundreds of these present... causing our database logs to grow and also results in unnecessary processing.  Why does this happen or is there a way to prevent that ?

Thanks

Oct 5, 2010 at 1:22 PM

It has to break inheritance to apply individual permissions to the item. Limited Access is simply referring to the fact that a user has access somewhere else on the site. Other than the processing power required to break inheritance are you seeing any anomalies with access?

If your logs are getting out of hand you could lower the reporting requirements. (E.g. ‘Verbose’ will write anything and everything to the logs, etc.)

Sincerely,

Kristopher Baker

Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 7:08 AM
To: Baker, Kristopher
Subject: Grant permission on an item [SPDActivities:229644]

The activity works great. However, when it grants permission to the document item, it removes all the limited access permissions that are present on the item. This is generally ok, but there are many hundreds of these present... causing our database logs to grow and also results in unnecessary processing. Why does this happen or is there a way to prevent that ?

Thanks

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (SPDActivities@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email SPDActivities@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Oct 5, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Thanks very much for the response.  No problem with breaking inheritance... but I notice if I do the same steps using sharepoint: by breaking inheritance and Granting read to an individual user, all the limited access items remain, they do not get removed.  Using the Custom Activity, the same course of action... granting read, removes all these extra limited access permissions.  

I know the limited access entries do nothing for the document item being worked on, but there are about 600 of these limited access entries on the document item... and this workflow fires many, many times as a result of users doing their work.  I am finding the system gets really sluggish and sometimes the workflow fails.  This may or may not be related to all the over head associated with the Custom Workflow deleting all these limited access permissions, but I would like to rule it out if possible.

Appreciate your insight

Oct 5, 2010 at 4:09 PM

First of all, I am a member of SharePointDiscussions under the Yahoo! Groups banner. There are a high number of excellent experts that regularly comment on questions posed to the group. I would recommend anyone who isn’t a member of this group to add yourself: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sharepointdiscussions/

As far as this question is concerned, though, I would not post it there. This sounds like a specific SPDActivities question and they likely would tell you to post that on the projects discussion board instead. I have not actually looked at the source for SPDActivities yet. I would imagine the creator/maintenance team should respond as to whether the processing issue is being caused by this project’s code.

Sincerely,

Kristopher Baker

Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 9:30 AM
To: Baker, Kristopher
Subject: Re: Grant permission on an item [SPDActivities:229644]

Thanks very much for the response. No problem with breaking inheritance... but I notice if I do the same steps using sharepoint: by breaking inheritance and Granting read to an individual user, all the limited access items remain, they do not get removed. Using the Custom Activity, the same course of action... granting read, removes all these extra limited access permissions.

I know the limited access entries do nothing for the document item being worked on, but there are about 600 of these limited access entries on the document item... and this workflow fires many, many times as a result of users doing their work. I am finding the system gets really sluggish and sometimes the workflow fails. This may or may not be related to all the over head associated with the Custom Workflow deleting all these limited access permissions, but I would like to rule it out if possible.

Appreciate your insight

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (SPDActivities@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email SPDActivities@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com