Send Email Extended After Pause Error

Jan 18, 2011 at 5:40 PM

I'm getting an errors after my workflow Pauses for any duration (1 min/5 days).  The workflow resumes successfully and if I use the OOTB Send Email Action, the email sends successfully.  If I use the Send Email Extended Action to send an email after a Pause I get the following error.

In summary:

Step 1 = Send Email Extended (successful)
Step 2 = Pause for Duration (successful)
Step 3 = Send Email (successful)
BUT if I change Step 3 to use Send Email Extended I get...
Step 3 = Send Email Extended (error)

System.Net.Mail.SmtpException: Failure sending mail. ---> System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a per

The error message cuts off.  We've done a packet capture & the SharePoint WFE doesn't even attempt to contact the Exchange server as it did successfully in Step 1 when it sent the original email. 

To fix, I've had to terminate the errored workflow and then run the workflow manually on the item which then skips Steps 1 & 2 due to conditions and the workflow then performs step 3 successfully.  I've created a simple test workflow with just the 3 steps above and get the same error.

Does anyone have any ideas?