Today's date activity

May 27, 2008 at 6:45 PM
I think that most of us would benefit on having a workflow activity that would populate Today's timestamp into a variable, uh? I don't know about you, but I often need that it is very tricky to perform that - unless there is something else I need to learn.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Robson
Jun 11, 2008 at 8:13 PM
Robson

The only way I've addressed this aspect (and the same is true of needing the name of the person invoking the WF) is to use the 'Modified' (date) and 'Modified By' fields on the form.  Basically if the document isn't checked out, you force a checkout, that updates the Modified and Modified By fields, and you can either take those up into variables, or 'use' them directly in a process.  Having checked out the documents, you then need to use the 'Discard Check Out Item' option and you are back to where you were, but have two pieces of information available.  I hope this helps.

I do think that being able to populate variables directly into WF Initiation Variables would be very useful though, as these could then be incorporated as options etc to change on a document:-

- is your document for 'Operations' (which might be the inherited default), but that would be part of a choice list.

That's also where the date and user would come in handy too, but of course using the Checkout/Discard method, these can only be obtained after the Initiation stage.

Regards  Alan C