What VS Template is Needed?

Mar 5, 2009 at 1:17 PM
I'm trying to open the source code in VS and I'm getting the error: The project file '...DP.Sharepoint.Workflow.csproj' cannot be opened.  Teh project type is not supported by this installation.

It's attempting to open in VS 2005.  What VS plug in/template do I need to install?

Thanks,
-Ryan
Feb 17, 2010 at 4:29 PM

I am having the same issue opening the project. Did you ever figure it out?

Thanks,

Nick

Feb 17, 2010 at 5:17 PM

I did actually, but I forget exactly what I had to install. 

I think the issue was that I had to install the SharePoint tools for visual studio 2005 (even though I was using Visual Studio 2008).

You might also be interested in http://wssactivities.codeplex.com/.  It's a set of designer activities that I released.  SPDActivities was a huge help in getting mine put together.

-Ryan

Feb 17, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Thanks for the pointer Ryan, however, I still can't open the solution after installing SharePoint tools for VS 2005 or 2008 (I am using VS 2008 as well). I will take a look at your solution.

What I am trying to accomplish is to create a custom SharePoint designer workflow that would allow users with read only permission to click a button on a page which triggers a workflow that would simply create an item on a predefined list. I tried using the OOB SharePoint designer create list item workflow activity but I would get access denied error when I try to start the workflow using a user with read only permission on the site. I had to grant the user contribute permission on the page where the button is located, the workflow tasks list, as well as the target list where the item gets created in order to start the workflow successfully.

Would you happen to know an easier way of getting by the permission issue with SP designer workflows or is creating a custom activity my only option? If it is the latter, I just need some code example on creating custom activity to get me started.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Nick

Feb 17, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Had to install VS 2005 .NET framework 3.0 (Windows Workflow Foundation) in order to open the SPDActivites project in VS 2008.

Nick