Question Regarding Workflows & System Account

May 10, 2010 at 6:26 PM

I apologize if this has been answered here but if so I was unable to find the thread.  My question is related to the Start Another Workflow Activity.  This seems to work fine except in the following circumstance:

1.  I have list A that has a workflow that checks a few values and starts another workflow on List A.  This works.
2. Workflow 2 on List A then Collects Data from A User which creates a task in a task list.  There is a workflow that needs to run on the task list when a new item is created.

The problem seems to be that the Start Another Workflow activity runs under the system account and therefore in a post SP1 environment the task list workflow won't run.

Is this correct?  Is there a workaround for this.   Any information would be appreciated.

Jason

P.S.  Thanks so much for these activities - they are extremely helpful.

Apr 4, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Did you find an answer?  is it related to the following: This problem occurs because a security fix in Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 SP1 prevents declarative workflows from starting automatically under the system account. Did you try the following:

The answer is pretty simple: install Infrastructure Update http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953749/(and of course if you are at it, you can update the whole farm to the latest patch level (FEB CU) ) and pay close attention to one small line (made bigger here because of it’s importance) written in the notes part of the knowledgebase article:

To prevent the declarative workflows from impersonating the system account, the workflows will now impersonate the user who created the workflow association.

This basically means that you should create a special account not SHAREPOINT\SYSTEM, that is a site collection owner on the site collection where the workflow is hosted, open the workflow in SharePoint Designer while logged on as this new account and simply save the workflow without modifying anything.

It will effectively change the account that associated the workflow, which will allow it to start.

Please provide feedback.