Workflow to move a file from a read only directory to a restricted permissions directory.

May 21, 2010 at 5:33 PM

I have the need to have users upload their personal files to a directory they all share, then the workflow will kick off automatically and move the files to a restricted folder and delete any files in the original folder.  This is what the workflow looks like that works if they have access to both folders.

Copy item in DocLib1 to DocLib2

then Delete item in DocLib1

This works great if the user has read rights to both locations, but we can not have them having access to the final folder as all employees information will be in that folder.  Microsoft claims that for this to work the person that kicks the workflow off has to have permissions at both locations.  I know someone smarter than me has a solution out there.  I am running MOSS 2007 on an XP platform.

May 21, 2010 at 6:32 PM

We have had similar issues with SharePoint permissions.  Only way we could resolve it was to give everyone 'Custom Contribute - no personal permissions' permission setting to the library where all the data is stored and set up view permission levels, using a product like SharePoint Boost.  That way each person can view his own items and be unable to change views or create/modify views, but only select people can view everything.  I understand there is also an open source view permissions product:  http://spviewpermission.codeplex.com/, but I haven't used that yet.

May 21, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Thanks Shelly, not really what I was hoping for but it might be the solution.  I have some limits on what the bosses will let me do so I am  hoping for some more input.

Scott