Start Another Workflow doesn't work - Please HELP!

Jul 29, 2008 at 6:22 PM
We install the Custom Actions per the install instructions, Activated the tools.  When I test "Start Another Workflow" nothing happens.  It seems to just ignore the Action.  We also deactivated and reactivated the tools to make sure and nothing.  I tried typing in the workflow and still nothing happens.

PLEASE this the last link in my workflow for and awesome approval process, if only it would work for me.

Thanks

Slap
Jul 29, 2008 at 7:29 PM
Make sure you type in the name of the Workflow you are trying to start, it is probably case sensitive as well.  I've used this one as well as created the "End Selected Workflow" I recently posted with no problems.

Are you using "Start Another Workflow" on the current item that the workflow you are writing is used on?

Jul 29, 2008 at 10:53 PM
>Make sure you type in the name of the Workflow you are trying to start, it is probably case sensitive as well.  I've used this one as well as created the "End Selected Workflow" I recently posted with no problems.

Thought I did this, however I will try again.  Do I type in the format List:Worflow as it appears when doing a "fx" selection or is the current list assumed?

>Are you using "Start Another Workflow" on the current item that the workflow you are writing is used on?

Yes, is that good or bad... o.O

Thanks

Slap
Jul 30, 2008 at 2:40 PM
When you choose the the Current Item it gets the list information from that. You only need to put in the name of the workflow you are wanting to activate. In the test that I have working I have one called: Lead Status Workflow that runs some logic on the list item. Then I have a "RefreshLeadStatus" that actually ENDS the "Lead Status Workflow" and then Starts it again (therefore refreshing the logic). Heres an image of what mine looks like: http://www.lessthanthree-productions.com/images/Workflow.jpg

Note: I typed the Workflow name exactly as it is with spaces and all "Lead Status Workflow", also when I chose "Current Item" as the list item, it just shows you the name of the list it is getting it from, mine being "ContactUsLeadStatus".

However one thing I did do differnet, Since I didn't want the entire feature installed (don't need all those custom actions) I actually just took the code just from StartAnotherWorkflow and made my own custom action based on it. You can find a walkthrough on how to do that here: http://www.johnholliday.net/post/2007/03/27/Add-Your-Own-Custom-Workflow-Activities-to-SharePoint-Designer-2007.aspx

If you do make your own solution you will also need to copy the Common file over as well as the StartAnotherWorkflow uses custom functions found in Common.
Jul 30, 2008 at 3:06 PM
Awesome!  Thanks lessthanthree.  Like a charm.

Slap