Create Folder in Sharepoint List Workflow Event

Jul 30, 2008 at 6:18 AM
Edited Jul 30, 2008 at 6:19 AM
Hello everybody,

I currently working on a small project management task for my department's intranet place. One goal is to have a project list so the management can see with one glance which projects are currently being worked on. To smart things up a bit I want to create one folder for each new project added in a document library that is on the same teamsite. This folder should be named <project id> | <project title>. Project ID and title are entered when a new project is added to the project list.

My thoughts are that it's not so difficult to use the "add new item" workflow event. However - I cannot access the content type colum of the document libary from SPD workflow. So ... if it was possible to select the value of a new document libray item by being able to select the value of the "content type" colum manually creating a folder shouldn't be a problem ?!

If anyone around here has seen or done something like this please let me know. Imho Sharepoint is really strange sometimes - lots of great and useful features but sometimes it just lacks very basic things.

thanks for your help :)

Best regards

Silmarin
Aug 19, 2008 at 8:43 PM
Silmarin,
Set up the library to receive email and set folder name default to email subject. Set up a workflow to send an email to the library with the subject name that you want. This creates a folder. If you want to route documents use the path. Its not elegant but works.
clindsay