Strange Start Another Workflow Error

Feb 20, 2009 at 1:29 AM
Ok this can be a little complicated, but I will try to simplify.

I have List A B and C. List A&B are located in the same site. List A takes some relevent information, and through workflow,  Creates an entry in List B. This portion works.

List B then has a workflow that moves the information to list C, List C always being in another site, but where is dependant on the information in list B.

All of these workflows work as expected.

What I need is for the workflow for list A to trigger the workflow in list B. In List B the workflow is set to fire when a new item is created, but of course doesn't when the system account runs it (as designed by microsoft in SP1)

Here is the problem, Finally!

When I use "Start Another Workflow" from List A, It gives me an error message:
System.ArgumentException: Value does not fall within the expected range.
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListItemCollection.GetItemById(Int32 id)
   at DP.Sharepoint.Workflow.StartAnotherWorkflow.<>c__DisplayClass2.<Execute>b__0()
   at Microsoft.SharePoi

Now here is the strange thing. For some reason, when using the Start Another Workflow Statement, it triggers the automatic mechanism in list B, which fires the workflow for B. I tested this by adding a pause statement in Workflow A, and before it was finished pausing, Workflow B had accomplished it's task. Now of course if I disable the automatic fire, it doesn't move the list item form List B, and it still errors out in List A.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Jun 30, 2009 at 5:08 PM
We have the same problems.
Ie the error is exactly the same when trying to run another workflow.

Before working properly. We have installed SQL Server 2005 (standard edition) and SP2

Can someone link this?
Jan 27, 2010 at 10:54 AM

I had the same issue.  It appears to have been fixed by adding a Pause for 1 minute action just prior to calling the other workflow.

Coordinator
Feb 17, 2010 at 6:23 PM
IT_Cowboy wrote:
Ok this can be a little complicated, but I will try to simplify.

I have List A B and C. List A&B are located in the same site. List A takes some relevent information, and through workflow,  Creates an entry in List B. This portion works.

List B then has a workflow that moves the information to list C, List C always being in another site, but where is dependant on the information in list B.

All of these workflows work as expected.

What I need is for the workflow for list A to trigger the workflow in list B. In List B the workflow is set to fire when a new item is created, but of course doesn't when the system account runs it (as designed by microsoft in SP1)

Here is the problem, Finally!

When I use "Start Another Workflow" from List A, It gives me an error message:
System.ArgumentException: Value does not fall within the expected range.
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPListItemCollection.GetItemById(Int32 id)
   at DP.Sharepoint.Workflow.StartAnotherWorkflow.<>c__DisplayClass2.<Execute>b__0()
   at Microsoft.SharePoi

Now here is the strange thing. For some reason, when using the Start Another Workflow Statement, it triggers the automatic mechanism in list B, which fires the workflow for B. I tested this by adding a pause statement in Workflow A, and before it was finished pausing, Workflow B had accomplished it's task. Now of course if I disable the automatic fire, it doesn't move the list item form List B, and it still errors out in List A.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

The reason for it failing is that the Item in list B is not created until the workflow is finished or persisted (pause activity).