Error Starting Another workflow

Jun 10, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Hi

I have been using this solution for quite a while and it helps a lot.

I have an issue with Start Another Workflow option in a list. There are 4 workflows, and the first is set on new item added to fire up, wait for 2 days and start the other 3 workflows. Now here is the deal. Out of 50 items, 15-20 items will have the workflow process stopped as soon as those two days pass and right before Start Another Workflow option is being executed.

I get this error:

6/7/2009 4:17 PM Comment  System Account
 Pausing complete 
         6/7/2009 4:17 PM Error  System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))
         at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPGlobal.HandleUnauthorizedAccessException(UnauthorizedAccessException ex) 
          at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPReques Error

Now, i can't think of a solution that would allow some workflows to start, and some to stop.

Any help is appreciated.

Jun 10, 2009 at 1:29 PM

@ babylonsr

I can’t help but notice that you might be running into the 15 (with 15 in queue [15+15=30]) workflow limit. You can up the number of workflows that kick off at one time, but best practice says you should probably edit the number of simultaneously firing workflows to below 15. It’s no surprise (if this is actually your problem) that out of 50, you have 15-20 workflows failing. [50-20=30]

There is no limit to how many are ‘In Progress’ (i.e. asleep) but you cannot fire more than 15 at a time. If you fire up to 30 at one time, SP will try to queue up the other 15 and run them again, but I have seen even some of those ‘fail on start (retrying)’.

In my experience, workflows fired using the Start Another Workflow action count against the total number of allowed concurrent firing workflows.

If you have that many workflows you may need figure out how to reduce the number firing at once. Consolidate some behavior if possible. Do more ‘Wait For Field Change in Current Item’ actions that sit and watch for the behavior from which to base the firing of the actions that are in your secondary workflows.

Good luck!

Sincerely,

Kristopher Baker

Kristopher Baker

Florida Department of Transportation;

Central Office;

Office of Information Systems;

Business Systems Support Office;

Rapid Technology Solutions

605 Suwannee Street

MS - 78

Tallahassee, FL 32399

(850) 410-5556

Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 9:07 AM
To: Baker, Kristopher
Subject: Error Starting Another workflow [SPDActivities:59062]

Hi

I have been using this solution for quite a while and it helps a lot.

I have an issue with Start Another Workflow option in a list. There are 4 workflows, and the first is set on new item added to fire up, wait for 2 days and start the other 3 workflows. Now here is the deal. Out of 50 items, 15-20 items will have the workflow process stopped as soon as those two days pass and right before Start Another Workflow option is being executed.

I get this error:

6/7/2009 4:17 PM Comment System Account
Pausing complete
6/7/2009 4:17 PM Error System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))
at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPGlobal.HandleUnauthorizedAccessException(UnauthorizedAccessException ex)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPReques Error

Now, i can't think of a solution that would allow some workflows to start, and some to stop.

Any help is appreciated.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (SPDActivities@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email SPDActivities@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jun 10, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Thank you for your kind reply Kristopher,

I didn't quite understand, maximum 15 workflows per item at once, or 15 workflows per list/library at once?

Can you advise me if this approach of pausing between start of each new workflow is good or bad.

New item added, one workflow starts, pauses for 2 days and then executes as following:

Start Another (second) workflow

Pause for five minutes

Start Another (third) workflow

Pause for five minutes

Start Another (fourth) workflow

Pause for five minutes

As those new workflows are started, as soon as do the calculations, they update a field in the item if a match has been found and they complete. So i end up 4 workflows per item added.

Do you think if i branch the "Start Another Workflow" in the second workflow to start the 3rd as it completes calculation and then the 3rd to start the 4th as ot completes calculation would be something different or doesn't make sense :)

Thanks